Easy Steps Terrace Garden Set-Up
In this era of urbanization, population is continuously shifting from rural to urban areas for work and a good lifestyle. Due to the increasing needs of people lands available are less in number and higher priced. There are more people living in relatively less space.
- Choose a space: Select a terrace, balcony, or rooftop space that gets ample sunlight and has good drainage systems.
- Plan the garden: Decide on what kind of garden you want. There are different types of gardens like vegetable gardens, ornamental gardens or a combination of both. Plan the garden based on the space available, the amount of sunlight, and the type of plants you want to grow.
- Prepare the surface: The surface of the terrace or rooftop must be waterproofed and leveled to prevent water seepage. The surface can be covered with tiles, gravel, or any other material to create a suitable base for the plants.
- Build the structure: Build a structure to support the weight of the pots and plants. The structure can be built with bricks, concrete, or iron, and can be covered with netting or wire mesh to support climbing plants.
- Set up the irrigation system: Set up a drip irrigation system to ensure that the plants receive adequate water.
- Choose the plants: Select plants that can thrive in the climate and conditions of your region. Plants like tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, and herbs like basil and parsley can be grown in vegetable gardens. For ornamental gardens, you can choose flowers like roses, marigolds, petunias, and lilies.
- Plant the garden: Fill pots with soil and plant the seeds or saplings. Leave adequate space between the pots to allow the plants to grow and receive sunlight.
- Maintain the garden: Water the plants regularly, weed and prune the plants to ensure proper growth.
With these steps, you can set up a beautiful and functional terrace garden that can provide solace and be a productive space for you.